Thursday, August 17, 2017

On keeping book translations


I want to know whether or not I'm the only one who keeps copies of book translations to read in the future. The Stranger by Albert Camus is one of my all-time favorite books, but I know that with all translations of foreign novels, some meaning is lost. I've always wanted to read foreign literature in their original languages.

So I've kept this French copy, in hopes that I will be able to read it at some point. It motivates me to keep going with learning French. Perhaps not knowing some words during classes frustrates me, or memorizing grammar rules is tedious. But at the end of the day, I know that the work will pay off and I'll be able to read a number of French books, including L'étranger

While thinking about this, I realized it could be compared to the actions of individuals who purchase clothes a size or two smaller, in hopes that they will someday be able to fit into them through hard work and weight loss. 

So this book is one of my many motivations for learning French. But as someone who loves literature, it's a damn good one. Do any of you do the same (keeping objects), but not necessarily for language learning?

5 comments:

  1. I think Albert Camus is even in your own language pretty challenging. :-)
    I have to admit, that I keep empty Tee samples I liked, just to be sure that I can buy them in case one of my tee boxes get empty.
    Kind of weird but your Post reminder me of that. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do indeed have a couple of books in different languages. I used to read it in a foreign language and every time I did not understand something I'd compare it to my mother tongue. That was just exhausting so I stopped tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love reading books in their original language!
    xx
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albert Camus is one of my favourite writers. I would love to read Henry Ibsen in the original, but I am sure that I will never study Norwegian (although my husband speeks very good Norwegian), because I think that it is such a difficult language. Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that original language is always better for reading. I am trying to do the same with english but sometimes is difficult for me.
    Lilia

    ReplyDelete