Saturday, May 18, 2019

my thoughts & medieval medicine



The card above is a print from a medieval English manuscript: Secretum secretorum, England, circa 1475-1500. It deals with medieval medicine, focusing on the influences of the zodiac on the body. I decided to tuck it away in my zipper case not only because as a person interested in the sciences I admire the historical changes medicine has undergone, but because the manuscript's poetic translation purports to be a letter from Aristotle to his student Alexander the Great. The title translates to "The Secret of Secrets" and it was influential to European intellectuals during the Middle Ages. I knew that I wanted it in my notebook, a reminder of the power of writing over time.


I've been pondering the best way to get into writing here again. Posting feels like speaking another language after you haven't practiced it in quite a while, or trying to remember how to make an old recipe without the instructions. It is rusty at first, but slowly and surely you find yourself back into it.

This past year has been full of changes. I wrote all the time, finally realizing the concept of a diary and depending on my paper and pen to make sense of my days. This is the interesting part about having a public blog and wanting to keep certain things private. It didn't feel right to share my writings or paintings, and so I didn't. I felt relieved, as though I didn't need to perform for an audience; I took risks with my passions and thoroughly enjoyed them.


For the first time, I am ready to come back. Being comfortable with what I choose to share and what I don't is the most freeing in the world, really. I look forward to sharing my passions again.

No comments:

Post a Comment